12 December 2010

APPLE AND CINNAMON TARTIN

My wife and I went to friends tonight and we had the pleasure of having a great stew cooked for us. However, I didn't go empty handed and brought with us a lovely apple tartin. I made a caramel sauce at home, then tossed in the quartered and peeled apples, before adding mixed spices of ground cinnamon, fresh grated nutmeg, ground ginger and allspice. I then arranged the apples carefully around my oven proof dish and allowed it to cool. I made a shortcrust pastry, using two parts plain flour, two parts self raising flour, two parts butter and one part ground almonds. I let it rest before rolling it quite thick and placing over the tart. I didn't add any sugar to the pastry as the caramel adds enough sweetness to the dish. Baking time was 20 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius, leaving it to cool in the oven slightly while it was switched off. I used a basic egg custard recipe and added cinnamon at the end, which I served at chilled temperature while the tart was still warm.


Carameilised apple tartin

Served with chilled vanilla creme Anglais.

No comments:

Post a Comment