6 September 2011

SMOKED MACKEREL FISH CAKES

AVOCADO, MOZZARELLA, TOMATO, RED ONION AND BASIL SALAD.


I made some great tasty little fish cakes to eat for our tea tonight and a quick salad to go with them. I also made up a batch of sweet chilli sauce which is a definite favourite of mine. I always make it fresh as I like to make everything from scratch, controlling what ingredients I use. I can also adjust the heat intensity by making it myself and it keeps well in the fridge for a good while after. Mackerel can take on plenty of other flavours and  I added some fennel, lemon and horseradish in my recipe. The sweet chilli sauce complimented them really well.





Recipe for fish cakes.
Ingredients:

200 grams hot smoked mackerel.
200 grams cooked new potatoes.
1/2 diced red onion.
1/4 diced fennel.
Zest of 1 lemon.
1/2 inch grated fresh horseradish.
1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard.
Handful chopped parsley.
25 grams sesame seeds.
Little flour and milk.
Salt and pepper.

Method:
1) Flake the fish and mix with all the ingredients, reserving the sesame, flour and milk.
2) Flour you hands before rolling the mixture into balls.
3) Roll the fish cake balls in the flour and dip in the milk and then coat in the sesame seeds.
4) Squash the fish cakes into pattie shapes and shallow fry on each side for about 4 to 5 minutes until crisp.
5) Serve with sweet chilli sauce and salad.







No comments:

Post a Comment